BELLAIRE — A Bellaire couple died over the weekend after exposure to a silent killer: carbon monoxide gas.
Melvin Carl Steele, 77, and his wife, Mary Lou Ferrick Steele, 76, both died Saturday at their home in the village. Belmont County Sheriff Dave Lucas confirmed that investigators from his office determined at the scene that the gas was the culprit, and that there was “no evidence of foul play” in the case.
Related Post :
Here Are 8 Remote Jobs That Pay Over $100,000 by Forbes Magazine
Carbon monoxide is a gas that is a byproduct of combustion, including fumes given off by a generator or furnace. The gas is odorless and colorless, making it almost impossible to detect with just human senses. The chemical slowly displaces the oxygen in a given space if the area is not properly ventilated. Once it has been breathed in, the gas will bind to red blood cell molecules, restricting the body’s ability to circulate oxygen to vital systems and organs. Full Story