Sunday, April 26

Mahamed Abukar of Minneapolis Charged with Making Threats in Islamic State Group Case

A Minneapolis man is accused of threatening federal agents, the U.S. Attorney in Minnesota, and a criminal informant who assisted in the arrest of six men accused of trying to join the Islamic State terrorist group in Syria.
Mahamed Abukar Said was charged in federal court Friday after posting a series threats on his Twitter page, according to an FBI affidavit.
The tweets have since been deleted but investigators used screen grabs to capture the threatening messages. They claim to have linked the Twitter account to Said using past tweets, a phone number and information from the Division of Vehicle Services.
One tweet said, "Ima whack that US attorney general." Investigators believe he meant either U.S. Attorney Andrew Luger, who held a press conference about the arrests earlier in the week, or the assistant U.S. Attorney who is prosecuting the case.
Another tweet said, "The feds are getting two choices. Either they gon free my bros or they gon have a massacre happen then they gon take me too."
Said is also accused of trying to retaliate against an informant who aided the federal investigation.
Said’s attorney did not return a call for comment Friday night. Said will be detained until a hearing next Wednesday.           
The arrests of the six men, all of Somali descent, created tension in Minnesota's Somali community, the largest in the United States. Since 2007, more than 22 young Somali men have traveled from Minnesota to Somalia to join the militant group al-Shabab. Authorities have also said a handful of Minnesota residents have traveled to Syria to fight with militants in the past year.         

No comments:

Post a Comment